We are now pleased to release the agenda for Nursing in Practice Belfast 2018, your annual nursing event that will be taking place at the Crowne Plaza Belfast on the 28th February with a brand new programme of educational and insightful seminars.
You can earn up to 4.5 CPD hours from this event.
Don’t miss your chance to attend – register today!
|08:45 – 09:20
||Registration and exhibition
|09:20 – 09:30
Chair’s opening remarks
Marilyn Eveleigh, Independent Nurse Consultant and Advisory Board Member, Nursing in Practice
|Heather Finlay, Nursing Officer, Department of Health
|09:30 – 10:15
Dilemmas in DOACs: A practical interactive session of case studies
- Importance of effective communication between patient and healthcare profession.
- Awareness of ‘low time in range’ for warfarin and impact on care.
- How to review patients on DOACs – what should we be doing?
Michael Jackson, Lead Pharmacist for Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Services, Belfast Health & Social Care Trust
Supported by Daiichi-Sankyo
Diabetes prevention: What’s new?
- Exploring the prevention of Type 2 diabetes and reduction in obesity in the UK.
- A reflection of current initiatives to support Type 2 diabetes prevention in Northern Ireland.
- Latest and future research: staying up to date and contributing to future initiatives.
Sara Carse, National Care Advisor, Diabetes UK
|10:15 – 10:50
Exhibition and networking
|10:50 – 11:35
65+: Keeping well with type 2 diabetes after metformin
- Explain why it is important to keep people with diabetes well as they get older.
- Describe the impact of diabetes on ageing.
- Describe the impact of ageing on diabetes.
- Consider the appropriate choice of blood glucose therapy after metformin.
- Give advice to support people with diabetes to keep well in later life.
Gareth Thomas, Diabetes Specialist Nurse, Larne
Sponsored by MSD
Optimising quality of life for heart failure
- Intervention and treatment options.
- Understanding the impact of comorbidities.
- Giving patients and carers the skills to self-monitor.
Charlie Ataliotis, Heart Failure Nurse Specialist, South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust
Inspired logic: Current and future treatment of COPD
- The burden of COPD and impact of exacerbations.
- The latest guidelines.
- Where pharmacotherapy fits in with COPD guidelines.
Dr Vincent McGovern, Sessional GP in Bangor specialising in respiratory medicine
Supported by Chiesi
A practical session on shingles immunisation
- Provide an overview of shingles and its possible complications.
- Provide understanding of the shingles National Immunisation Programme including eligibility.
- Discuss best practice examples of implementation of the programme at a local level.
Dr Kevin Pollock, Lead Healthcare Scientist (Immunisation), Health Protection Scotland
Sponsored by MSD
|12:25 – 13:25
|| Exhibition and lunch
|13:25 – 14:10
Managing female urinary incontinence within primary care
- Risk factors.
- Stress, urge or mixed?
- Outlining the available therapy options.
Angela Patterson, Lead Clinical Nurse Specialist – Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction, South Eastern Trust
Delivering personalised care to end of life patients
- Supporting patients with long term conditions in the community.
- Communication about prognosis and treatment preferences.
- Holistic assessment, psychological support and depression screening.
Joanne Henderson, Community Specialist Palliative Care Nurse, Foyle Hospice
||Exhibition and networking
|14:35 – 15:20
KEYNOTE: Are you alright? No, because half of me is left!
Advice on interacting with patients with cognitive-communication impairments in neurological disorders.
Claire MacLaine, Speech and Language Therapist, Communicating Confidence
|15:25 – 16:10
Current trends in sexual and reproductive health
- Outlining current issues and updates on CASH services.
- Update on FSRH guidelines.
- Emergency contraception.
Michele McGrath, Lead Nurse for Contraceptive Services, NHSCT
Alcohol use disorders: How much is too much?
- Discussing alcohol problems in the primary care consultation.
- Setting goals for reducing alcohol consumption.
- Managing alcohol related psychiatric and physical complication.
Geraldine Wilson, Substance Misuse Nurse, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
||Close of conference