We are now pleased to release the agenda for Nursing in Practice Manchester 2018, your annual nursing event that will be taking place at Bridgewater Hall on the 12th June with a brand new programme of educational and insightful seminars.
You can earn 4.5 CPD hours from this event.
Don’t miss your chance to attend – register today!
Michelle Falconer, Immunisation Nurse Specialist, Public Health England
Joanne McDonnell, Senior Nurse for Mental Health, NHS England
||Registration and exhibition
Chair’s opening remarks [Stream 1]
Keynote: Tackling loneliness on a local and national scale [Stream 1]
- What we know about loneliness in the UK and why we must work together to tackle it.
- National action to tackle loneliness.
- Promising local approaches to reducing loneliness.
Olivia Field, Policy and Engagement Manager, The Loneliness Action Group – British Red Cross
Wound management: An update in best practice
- Basic wound assessment and wound tissue type classification.
- Overview of local wound factors that delay healing; exudate, infection & biofilm.
- A practical approach on dressing selection based on best evidence in the management of acute and chronic wounds, including case studies.
David Nelson, Medical Affairs Specialist, ConvaTec
Sponsored by ConvaTec
A practical session on shingles immunisation
- Provide an overview of shingles and its possible complications.
- Provide understanding of the shingles National Immunisation Programme including eligibility.
- Discuss best practice examples of implementation of the programme at a local level.
Julie Annakin, Independent Nurse Trainer
Sponsored by MSD
||Exhibition and networking
65+: Keeping well with type 2 diabetes after metformin
- Explain why it is important to keep people with diabetes well as they get older.
- Describe the impact of diabetes on ageing.
- Describe the impact of ageing on diabetes.
- Consider the appropriate choice of blood glucose therapy after metformin.
- Give advice to support people with diabetes to keep well in later life.
Jill Hill, Co-Chair, TREND-UK
Sponsored by MSD
GP online services: the digital transformation of primary care – for nurses and patients
- What are GP online services and how do they integrate into my daily working life?
- What are the benefits for me and for my patients?
- The role of the Digital Nursing Champion.
Jennie Smith, Engagement and Support Manager, Patient Online team at NHS England
Dr Adam Paxton, Digital Clinical Champion, Patient Online team at NHS England
Sponsored by NHS England
Optimising treatment for COPD
- The importance of smoking cessation.
- The role of LABA/LAMAs and the need to reassess Inhaled corticosteroid containing therapies in COPD care.
- The importance of correct inhaler choice.
Emma Rickards, Advanced Respiratory Nurse Practitioner, Knowsley Community Respiratory Service
This symposium has been organised and sponsored by Pfizer Ltd on behalf of the Novartis – Pfizer Alliance. April 2018 UK/MTGPIHR/18-0275
Progressions in Liver Disease: Low Number, High Risk
- Autoimmune Liver Disease diagnostics and care
- Living with AILD: what you need to know
- Updates in Clinical Guidelines
- Latest practice with Abnormal Liver Tests
Dr Palak Trivedi, Clinical Lecturer in Hepatology, University of Birmingham Centre for Liver Research
Sponsored by PBC Foundation
||Exhibition and lunch
Current trends in sexual and reproductive health
- Outlining current issues.
- Signs, symptoms and treatment of common STIs.
- Update on FRSH contraception guidelines.
Dr Carol Cornmell, SRH registered trainer and General Practitioner, Torrington Medical Practice
Inspired logic: Current and future treatment of COPD
- The burden of COPD and impact of exacerbations.
- The latest guidelines.
- Where pharmacotherapy fits in with COPD guidelines.
Dr Iain Small, GPSI in Peterhead and member of the PCRS-UK Executive Committee
Sponsored by Chiesi
||Exhibition and networking
An update on the latest in travel vaccinations
- Why do a travel risk assessment?
- Vaccines – what’s new?
- Advising patients when there is no vaccine – malaria and the Zika virus.
Jane Rowles, Clinical Nurse Manager, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
Alcohol use disorders in primary care: How much is too much?
- Discussing alcohol problems in the primary care consultation.
- Setting goals for reducing alcohol consumption.
- Managing alcohol related psychiatric and physical complications.
Lucy Webb, Associate Professor, Manchester Metropolitan University
Keynote: New NICE guidance on Asthma [Stream 1]
- Basics of asthma and airway inflammation.
- Similarities and differences between the NICE and BTS/SIGN diagnostic guidelines.
- Practical advice on conflicting guidelines.
Dr Binita Kane, Consultant Respiratory Physician, Manchester University Foundation Trust, Health Innovation Manchester
||Close of Conference
*Please note, this information is correct at the current time. Cogora reserve the right to amend content without prior warning.
**We would like to thank our exhibitors for supporting this meeting, which includes a number of pharmaceutical companies including Boehringer Ingelheim Ltd, Chiesi Ltd, Daiichi Sankyo Ltd, GSK, MSD, Mylan UK, Novartis, Orion Pharma Ltd, Pfizer Ltd and Sanofi Pasteur. Unless stated in your programme, they have had no input into the agenda, speaker selection or content.