We are now pleased to release the agenda for Nursing in Practice Northampton 2018, your annual nursing event that will be taking place at the Park Inn by Radisson on the 19th April with a brand new programme of educational and insightful seminars.
You can earn up to 4.5 CPD hours from this event.
Don’t miss your chance to attend – register today!
Helen Lewis, Independent Specialist Nurse and Advisory Board Member, Nursing in Practice
George Coxon, Chair, Mental Health Nursing Association (MHNA), Advisory Board Member, Nursing in Practice
|08:45 – 09:15
||Registration and exhibition
|09:15 – 09:25
||Chair’s opening remarks [Stream 1]
|09:25 – 10:05
KEYNOTE: New NICE guidance on Asthma
- Updates on diagnosing – Spirometry, FeNO and reversibility testing.
- Implications for nurses with the new guidelines.
- Two guidelines suggesting different approaches – NICE and BTS/SIGN.
Jane Scullion, Respiratory Nurse Consultant, University Hospitals of Leicester
|10:10 – 10:50
Part 1: The management of VTE
Alexandra Butler, VTE nurse specialist, Kettering General Hospital
Part 2: The management of atrial fibrillation
Sue Armstrong, Advanced Nurse Practitioner, Glenfield Hospital
Sponsored by Daiichi-Sankyo
A practical session on shingles immunisation
- Provide an overview of shingles and its possible complications.
- Provide understanding of the shingles National Immunisation Programme including eligibility.
- Discuss best practice examples of implementation of the programme at a local level.
Dr Phil Rice, Consultant Virologist, Norfolk and Norwich University NHS Foundation Trust
Sponsored by MSD
|10:50 – 11:20
Exhibition and networking
|11:20 – 12:00
65+: Keeping well with type 2 diabetes after metformin
- Explain why it is important to keep people with diabetes well as they get older.
- Describe the impact of diabetes on ageing.
- Describe the impact of ageing on diabetes.
- Consider the appropriate choice of blood glucose therapy after metformin.
- Give advice to support people with diabetes to keep well in later life.
Jill Hill, Co-Chair, Trend UK
Sponsored by MSD
Exploring the role of mobile apps in contraception and family planning
- Unmet needs in contraception.
- What is digital contraception and what is the clinical evidence base for it?
- Experiences with a digital contraceptive.
Dr Simon Rowland, Medical Affairs Lead, Natural Cycles
Dr Cecilia Pyper, Fertility Expert
Sponsored by Natural Cycles
Delivering personalised care to end of life patients
- Assessment: Recognition, triggers and phases of illness.
- Advanced care planning, including tools and communication skills.
Lisa Whelan, Community Palliative Care CNS, Cynthia Spencer Hospice
Francesca Bell, Palliative Care CNS, Cynthia Spencer Hospice
The Neuropsychology of Huntington’s Disease
- Understanding the organic damage in Huntington’s disease.
- The Neurobehavioural effects of Huntington’s disease.
- The biopsychosocial treatment programme.
Dr Allan Perry, Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist, Director of Clinical Services, PJ Care
Sponsored by PJ Care
|12:45 – 13:40
|| Exhibition and lunch
|13:40 – 14:20
Best practice management of chronic wounds
- Choosing the correct treatment course for optimum patient outcomes.
- Identifying and treating cause of wounds.
- Holistic assessment and individualised care.
Kate Brawn, Clinical Nurse Specialist in Tissue Viability, Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
GP online services – the digital transformation of primary care – for nurses and patients
- What are GP online services and how do they integrate into my daily working life?
- What are the benefits for me and for my patients?
- The role of the Digital Nursing Champion.
Jennie Smith, Engagement and Support Manager, Patient Online team at NHS England
Sponsored by NHS England
||Exhibition and networking
|14:45 – 15:25
Antimicrobial stewardship: The evolving contribution of nursing [Stream 1]
- Antimicrobial stewardship in context.
- Latest development within primary care and community nursing.
- Nurses as communicators.
Rose Gallagher MBE, Professional Lead for Infection Prevention and Control, Royal College of Nursing
|15:25 – 16:00
Tackling loneliness on a local and national scale [Stream 1]
- What we know about loneliness in the UK and why we must work together to tackle it.
- National action to tackle loneliness.
- Promising local approaches to reducing loneliness.
Olivia Field, Policy and Engagement Manager, The Loneliness Action Group – British Red Cross
||Close of conference
*Please note, this information is correct at the current time. Cogora reserve the right to amend content without prior warning.
**We would like to thank our exhibitors for supporting this meeting. This includes a number of pharmaceutical companies including Chiesi Ltd, Daiichi Sankyo Ltd, GSK, MSD, Orion Pharma and Pfizer. Unless stated in your programme, they have had no input into the agenda, speaker selection or content.