Nursing in Practice Belfast 2019 took place at the Crowne Plaza Belfast on the 27th February.
Registration is now FULLY BOOKED. To reserve a place at the 2020 event on 26th February 2020, please email email@example.com
|08:40 – 09:20
||Registration and exhibition
|09:20 – 09:30
Chair’s opening remarks
Marilyn Eveleigh, Independent Nurse Consultant and Advisory Board Member, Nursing in Practice
|Nicki Patterson, Director of Nursing, Older People and Primary Care, South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust @nickipatters
|09:30 – 10:10
Evolving developments in the treatment of COPD
Dr Vincent McGovern
Managing Type 2 diabetes across the divide
- Risk stratified approaches to diabetes care
- NI Diabetes Network update
- Overview of Type 2 treatments and care pathways
Lesley Hamilton, Diabetes Network Manager, Western Trust @Lesleydmwest
|10:15 – 10:55
Managing eating disorders in primary care
- Identifying and understanding eating disorders.
- Supporting individuals with eating disorders.
- Guidance on management.
Edel Gilchrist, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Team Lead, Eating Disorders Youth Service, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust @edel_gilchrist
Andrea Craig, Acting Ward Sister, Beechcroft Treatment Ward, Regional Inpatient Unit for Northern Ireland @amcraig75
Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)
- AMR in Northern Ireland – current epidemiology and Public Health Agency (PHA) Improvement work.
- The role of the nurse in AMR.
- Public Health Agency response to AMR.
Caroline McGeary, Senior Infection Prevention and Control Nurse, Public Health Agency @carolinemcgeary
|10:55 – 11:25
Exhibition, networking and refreshments
Vaccination uptake: navigating the challenges
- Build confidence in assessing if individuals need vaccination based on their risk
- Hear about examples from clinical practice on how to help improve vaccine confidence in patients
Becky Swadling, Travel Health Specialist Nurse
Sandra Grieve, Travel Health Specialist Nurse
This non-promotional symposium has been organised and funded by Sanofi Pasteur.
SAGB.MIS.19.02.0150c February 2019
A guide to dermatology in primary care
- What are the most common presentations of skin problems?
- Assessing disease severity and suitable treatment.
- Impact on functional, psychological and social well-being.
Iona McCormack, Advanced Nurse Practitioner, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
|12:10 – 12:50
Optimising quality of life for heart failure patients
- Intervention and treatment options.
- Understanding the impact of comorbidities.
- Giving patients and carers the skills to self-monitor.
Charlie Ataliotis, Heart Failure Nurse Specialist, South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust @chataliotis
Effective management of arthritis
- Recognising the different types of arthritis.
- Overview of management including medication, MDT input and self-management.
- Advice regarding flare up of symptoms and when to contact Rheumatology department.
- Exploring the red flags around arthritis.
Elaine Wylie, Rheumatology Nurse Specialist, Craigavon Area Hospital, Southern Health and Social Care Trust
|12:50 – 13:50
Exhibition and lunch
KEYNOTE: Dementia – How we can all make a difference
- Person centered care.
- The lived experience of the individual with dementia.
- Education and support for carers, staff and service users.
Tommy Whitelaw, UK Project Lead, Dementia Carer Voices
|14:35 – 15:05
Exhibition and networking
|15:05 – 15:45
Best practice management of chronic wounds
- Choosing the correct treatment course for optimum patient outcomes.
- Identifying and treating cause of wounds.
- Holistic assessment and individualised care.
Jayne Carson, Tissue Viability Nurse Lead, South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust @jaynecarson14
KEYNOTE: The legacy of nursing through the Troubles
- Demonstrate the long term impact on nurses who cared for the casualties of “the Troubles”.
- How this knowledge is transferable and relevant to nursing practice today.
Margaret Graham, Retired Senior Nurse Manager (Community)
Margaret Kerr, Retired Senior Nurse Manager (Acute)
||Close of conference
*Please note, this information is correct at the current time. Cogora reserve the right to amend content without prior warning.
**We would like to thank our exhibitors, sponsors and partners for supporting this meeting. This includes a number of pharmaceutical companies; including Chiesi Ltd, GSK, MSD, Pfizer Ltd and Sanofi Pasteur. These companies have only had input into their individual sessions on the programme where clearly labelled.