||Registration and networking
||Chair’s opening remarks
Marilyn Eveleigh, Independent Nurse Consultant and Advisory Board Member, Nursing in Practice
Donna Davenport, RGN, Senior Lecturer, Manchester Metropolitan University
Helen Lewis, Independent Specialist Nurse and Advisory Board Member, Nursing in Practice
Stream 4: Mental Health
Produced in association with
Dave Munday, Health Visitor and Lead Professional Officer, Unite the Union
Addressing the challenges of non-valvular AF-related stroke with case studies
Karen Beale, Anticoagulation Lead Nurse Specialist, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust
Contraception: Are we failing younger women?
- Identify LARCs as the most effective contraception for women of any reproductive age.
- Know counselling techniques that may help young women understand their contraceptive options and the advantages of LARC.
- Feel that you can take the opportunity to discuss the full range of contraception at every appropriate consultation.
Dr Zara Haider, Consultant in Sexual and Reproductive health, Kingston Hospital NHS Trust
This session has been organised and funded by
New NICE guidance on asthma
- Updates on diagnosing: Spirometry, FeNO and reversibility testing.
- Implications for nurses of the new guidelines.
- Two guidelines suggesting different approaches: NICE vs BTS/SIGN.
Viv Marsh, Education Lead, Education for Health, Asthma Nurse Specialist, Dudley CCG
Tips for managing anxiety disorders in primary care
- Diagnosis of anxiety disorders.
- Advice for monitoring and providing support.
- Presentation of generalised anxiety disorders co-morbid with other anxiety and depressive disorders.
Dr Pravir Sharma, Consultant Psychiatrist, Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
||Exhibition and networking
65+: Keeping well with type 2 diabetes after metformin
- Explain why it is important to keep people with diabetes well as they get older.
- Describe the impact of diabetes on ageing.
- Describe the impact of ageing on diabetes.
- Consider the appropriate choice of blood glucose therapy after metformin.
- Give advice to support people with diabetes to keep well in later life.
Erica Richardson, Lead Diabetes Specialist Nurse, Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust
Wound management: An update in best practice
- Basic wound assessment and wound tissue type classification.
- Overview of local wound factors that delay healing; exudate, infection & biofilm.
- A practical approach on dressing selection based on best evidence in the management of acute and chronic wounds, including case studies.
Margaret Armitage (RGN), Senior Medical Affairs Specialist, ConvaTec
Challenges in COPD Care
- A review of what we know about COPD.
- A rethink of our thinking and current treatments.
- The placement of current therapies.
- A guide to the new inhaler devices and combinations.
Jane Scullion, Respiratory Nurse Consultant, University Hospitals of Leicester
Recognising and managing autism spectrum conditions in primary care
- Understanding the role of the practice and community nurse in highlighting suspected ASD.
- Supporting families to access appropriate resources.
- Identifying other clinical and behavioural implications of ASD.
Matt Trerise, Training and Liaison Lead, NHS Bristol Autism Spectrum Service
Innovative person-centered care for people with chronic kidney disease
- Classification and stages of CKD: Which patients are at risk?
- Reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Preventing or delaying the progression of CKD.
- Strategies for self-management.
Professor Nicola Thomas, Professor of Kidney Care, London South Bank University
Optimising treatment for COPD
- The importance of smoking cessation.
- The role of LABA/LAMAs and the need to reassess inhaled corticosteroid containing therapies in COPD care.
- The importance of correct inhaler choice.
Jaclyn Proctor, Trainee Advanced Respiratory Practitioner, Warrington and Halton NHS Foundation Trust
This symposium has been organised and sponsored by Pfizer Ltd on behalf of the Novartis – Pfizer Alliance. April 2018 UK/MTGPIHR/18-0275
GP online services: The digital transformation of primary care – for nurses and patients
- What are GP online services and how do they integrate into my daily working life?
- What are the benefits for me and for my patients?
- The role of the Digital Nursing Champion.
Jennie Smith, Engagement and Support Manager, Patient Online team at NHS England
Dr Adam Paxton, Digital Clinical Champion, Patient Online team at NHS England
Understanding dementia: Supporting people with dementia and their carers
- Understanding behaviour.
- Communication skills.
- Supporting family carers.
Debbie Callow, Admiral Nurse (RMN Specialist), End of Life Partnership & Dementia UK
||Exhibition and lunch
Effective management of arthritis
- Recognising the different types of arthritis.
- Pain management and factors that affect pain.
- Tips for managing a flare of arthritis.
Cath Thwaites, Lecturer/Practitioner in Rheumatology Nursing, Keele University, Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Hospitals Trust
A practical session on shingles immunisation
- Provide an overview of shingles and its possible complications.
- Provide understanding of the shingles National Immunisation Programme including eligibility.
- Discuss best practice examples of implementation of the programme at a local level.
Pauline MacDonald, Independent Consultant Nurse & Managing Director, Infection Matters Limited
A guide to dermatology in primary care
- What are the most common presentations of skin problems?
- Assessing disease severity and suitable treatment.
- Impact on functional, psychological and social well being.
Tracey O’Shea, Community Dermatology Clinical Lead, Modality Partnership
- The impact of Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis (SAR) on quality of life and exam performance.
- The optimal management of SAR in primary care.
- Which patients to refer to the allergy clinic.
Dr Aarn Huissoon, Consultant Immunologist, Heartlands Hospital
||Exhibition and networking
‘Dying to meet us’: A holistic approach to care at end of life
- Supporting patients with long term conditions in the community.
- Communication about prognosis and treatment preferences.
- Holistic assessment, psychological support and depression screening.
Juliet Cross, Community Palliative Care CNS, Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust
Tracey Grinell, Clinical Nurse Manager, Fair Oaks Day Hospice
Sindy Dhallu, Clinical Operations Manager – Palliative & End of Life Care, Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust
@WalsallPall @SindyDhallu @fairoakshospice
An update on the latest in travel vaccinations
- Why do a travel risk assessment?
- Vaccines: What’s new?
- Advising patients when there is no vaccine; Malaria and the Zika virus.
- Best real time travel medicine resources.
Kath Lynch, Independent Travel Health Nurse Consultant
An update on cervical screening and cancer prevention
- What is best practice in cervical screening?
- Discuss clinical history, the test and its results.
- HPV vaccine: Progress and impact so far.
Amanda Sutton, Nurse Colposcopist, University Hospitals of the North Midlands
Long term pain conditions: Are we facing an opioid crisis?
- Assessment and diagnosis.
- Non-invasive treatments; self-management, exercise and psychological options.
- What is the extent of opioid addiction in the UK?
Dr Amelia Swift, Senior Lecturer, Nursing, University of Birmingham, Non-medical Clinical Academic Lead, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Keynote: Addressing the gaps in mental health services
- Recent achievements in mental health services.
- Key improvements needed, and current focus.
- How will changes be implemented.
Claire Murdoch, National Mental Health Director, NHS England
||Close of conference